Where were you when you found out about Osama bin Laden’s death?
Tomorrow we’re marking the one year anniversary of the capture and death of Osama bin Laden. We’re talking to Peter Bergen, who produced the first television interview with bin Laden and has a new book out about the lengthy search for bin Laden.
Do you remember how you found out? I actually went to bed really early the night before (so I missed the news) and woke up to see it all over Facebook.
I was on Tumblr. Matt Mira was getting a blowjob.
Is it weird that that’s the first thing I think of?
205 Notes/ Hide
- j--anderson answered: On @Twitter
- mingbot answered: I was in Cusco, Peru returning from an overnight trip to Machu Picchu. I got the news first from Twitter and thought that it was a joke.
- mycathasocd answered: Was in bed with Hubs watching TV. Saw the headline, turned to hubs and said “well, I guess we should start drinking.”
- blackbyrdsinging answered: ….i was on tumblr.
- murphysmurfy reblogged this from lertheblur
- lertheblur reblogged this from whiskeysmyxtracurricularactivity and added:
- photolodico answered: In bed, looking through my news feeds with my husband.
- shitley answered: In my boyfriend’s old bedroom of his last apartment! We were probably watching TV. My mom was texting me about it.
- beccap answered: I was in my friends dorm room, drinking Swedish fish & vodka shots. We were celebrating graduating in a few weeks.
- pricee answered: I had just gotten off of an airplane in DC. News broke while I was in the air and there were a few TVs switched to CNN at National.
- dallasallen answered: I was at a Wilco concert and overheard the person next to me tell their friend.
- catalogbohemian answered: Laying in bed watching the phillies-mets game, wondering why everyone was chanting U-S-A!
- colinmcenroe answered: i thought i was dreaming, hearing Obama’s speech. Then i realized i’m not that articulate, so it had to be real, and woke up. -Wolfie
- whiskeysmyxtracurricularactivity reblogged this from suburbantragic and added:
- rossumsuniversalrobots answered: I was studying abroad in St. Petersburg, Russia and read about it online
- imokhuede answered: At home watching CNN. My uncle actually predicted the announcement a while before it was said which I thought was a little weird.
- scottfrancis said: I’m a DJ and I was spinning at a club when I saw the newsflash on a monitor in the booth. I immediately jumped on the mic and announced it to the crowd. Everyone in the place raised their drinks and started screaming. I’ll always remember that sound.
- consumetildoom likes this
- scrawnycartoons answered: Went into the kitcher, saw on the TV Barrack Obama talking about how they got him. I was like “For real real?”
- jmoening answered: Working in a newsroom as Twitter convulsed ahead of official confirmation.
- deansinclair answered: Eating a bowl of Lucky Charms. Walk into the living room to see my mother and father staring at the TV which reads: Osama Bin Laden dead.
- the6thborough answered: was with a group of friends & we were going to do a parks & rec marathon; turned on TV & saw “BREAKING NEWS”, waited 40 mins for obama
- emilykilpatrick answered: I guess the news didn’t impact me very much, because I don’t remember…
- seventyfivehundred said: take 2: I saw it all over facebook the next morning and was more shocked by the inhumane things coming from people’s status updates than Osama’s capture & execution …
- seventyfivehundred answered: I saw it all over facebook the next morning, and was horrified by the amount of inhumane things being said in people
- starry-dreamer reblogged this from nprfreshair and added:
- afghanphantom answered: I was drinking tea in my roman apartment & I immediately cried “conspiracy”
- pocketwatches answered: I was… oh dear… I was on Tumblr. #addict
- sitakul answered: Depressed in bed trying to avoid writing a term paper and procrastinating on Twitter when it blew up with the news.
- f6x answered: I was at an amazing Explosions in the Sky show, furiously refreshing Twitter, moved to tears by the sonic and emotional bombast.
- interrobangin reblogged this from suburbantragic and added:
- desdesevilla answered: I was studying abroad in Seville, Spain. Woke up, saw it on Facebook and ran out to tell my Spanish host parents. Then we watched the news.
- directionlessfury answered: I was in the common area of my dorm lounging about on a sofa when a friend came in with the news.
- followsardoodledom likes this
- consumetildoom said: I was in Houston at a Jane’s Addiction show at Cynthia Woods Pavilion. Perry Farrell announced it to the crowd. There was a roar, then we felt weird we were cheering because a man was killed. Then we felt good again.
- iameryka answered: I was at a Jeff Rosenstock show. And no one cared. I think one guy gave a quick woo and a sip of beer.
- lillopes likes this
- sairahbairah answered: on study abroad in holland! some of the other americans hosted a fuck yeah america party that night -____-
- romcomcom answered: I was sitting in my living room with my roommate. It was her birthday and we went to her party right afterwards.
- thecostumepartyisover answered: Home. Kids in bed. Saw it on my Twitter feed first.
- shandypetree answered: I was in a local watering hole w/ bro and sis-in-law. Twitter started blowing up long before CNN would confirm.
- therabbitdown answered: I was in New York teaching a class on Islamaphobia in lieu of teaching Malcolm X.
- mandatee answered: I was in Montreal with my boyfriend. We were flipping through Canadian TV and watched Obama’s speech from a Vermont station. It was surreal.
- januarysnowdrop answered: I was about to go to bed but I turned on NPR and heard President Obama talking about Navy Seals; after a minute I realized what had happened.
- crazy-curly-girl answered: I heard it on NPR. I started crying when I heard how celebratory people were. Yes, he was a terrible man, but death should’nt be celebrated.
- creamconecoffee answered: I was getting ready for bed and my brother came to my door and told me that they killed Osama Bin Laden.
- yeahiwasintheshit reblogged this from suburbantragic and added:
- poppukon answered: I actually aw it first on tumblr… I think I had been doing homework and decided to check tumblr when BAM. News hit.
- jittery-zeitgeist answered: I was on “transition” in between projects with AmeriCorps*NCCC (one of the only times I had access to a TV that year).